Forging Paths is an initiative started by Michael Conti who is a highly qualified and experienced coach, psychological counsellor, EMDR therapist, supervisor, somatic sexuality specialist and educator. He is the author of the recently published book: Living Better with Yourself – A Practical Guide to Embodied Growth. He has worked in various mental health sectors and with various client groups and has delivered workshops with different organisations and professional groups. As a licensed psychotherapist in Malta, he has been working in the area of mental health and running his private practice for over 10 years. Apart from various professional qualifications that he holds, he is currently completing an ICF-accredited diploma in integrative coaching.
One of Michael’s main areas of specialisation is working with trauma as an EMDR therapist. His other area of specialisation is sex, sexuality and the body where he also trained as a somatic sex specialist. He is the founder of Orange Bodies where he runs workshops in somatic practice.
Michael works in a way that integrates different aspects of the human experience, respecting the complexity of human nature while helping to structure experience in a helpful and meaningful way. He continues to develop his expertise through further personal and professional experiences and training.
Originally born in Malta, Michael has experienced several cultures due to his travels. He has worked and studied in Italy, France, the United Kingdom and Denmark, and is currently based in Berlin, Germany. He speaks Maltese, English and Italian, and has a very good knowledge of French and Spanish.
Having worked with people from different cultures and lived in multi-cultural cities, Michael is highly culturally competent in his practice. His personal experience as a gay man, his additional training and professional practice in the area of sexuality and his training as a somatic sexuality specialist have given him a deep knowledge and understanding of issues related to sexuality and gender.
After working as a Senior Counsellor with the London Fire Brigade, Michael moved to Denmark in 2019 where he set up his full-time private practice. Having moved to Berlin, he continues with his private practice online.
Qualifications and education
- Master’s degree in Integrative Counselling and Psychotherapy (UK, 2011)
- Master’s degree in Supervision in Counselling and Psychotherapy (UK, 2016)
- EMDR training (UK, 2018)
- Somatic Sexuality Specialist training (Spain, 2019)
- Diploma in Integrative Coaching (UK, 2022)
- Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction (USA, 2020)
- Certificate in Psychology (UK, 2009)
- Diploma in Philosophy (France, 2007)
- Sexual Minority Therapy training (UK, 2009)
- Couples counselling and sex therapy training (Malta, 2012)
- Bachelor’s degree in Education with Honours (Malta, 2001)
- Science teacher at Savio College (Malta)
- Guidance teacher at St. Dorothy’s School (Malta)
- Counsellor at the Malta College of Arts, Science and Technology (Malta)
- Guest lecturer on Master’s degree programmes in psychology and family therapy (Malta)
- Training supervisor and tutor on a Master’s degree programme in advanced clinical practice at the Minster Centre (UK)
- Senior Counsellor with the London Fire Brigade (UK)
- Developer and facilitator of different workshops and training sessions on various subjects related to mental wellbeing and sexuality with various organisations and professional groups (Malta, Denmark, online)
- State-licensed psychotherapist in Malta
- Member of EMDR Germany
- Member of EMDR Europe
- Registered member with Kink-Aware Professionals